Up Down All Around Lesson Plans©
It is our experience that gymnastic activities are
Easy for teachers, coaches or activity leaders to present
Beneficial and enjoyable for students / participants!
- Elementary Schools Grades 1 – 6
- Ages 6 – 11 years
- University or College Teacher Education
- Clubs, Summer Camps, After School Physical Literacy Programs
- Healthy programs for children & youth
UDAA Lesson Plan Logic
The three authors of this series have all lectured at Universities and are the authors of the original Canadian, Australian and New Zealand Federation’s introductory texts for coach / teacher education in gymnastics. These publications view gymnastics as an umbrella term under which many sports and many activities are grouped. The sports include the 3 Olympic sports of Artistic, Trampoline and Rhythmic Gymnastics plus the non-Olympic sports of Acrobatic and Aerobics. The activities are practiced as: educational gymnastics; recreational gymnastics; pre-school gymnastics; display gymnastics and applied gymnastics.
All these forms of gymnastics have in common certain patterns of movement that differentiate gymnastics from games, aquatics and dance. For example, swinging and somersaulting are obviously gymnastics activities, not games activities.
It is possible to demonstrate that 6 basic movement patterns encompass all gymnastics skills and activities. They are the lowest common denominators of gymnastics.
These 6 Gymnastics Movement Patterns (GMP’s) will become the themes of our lessons because they are what make gymnastics … gymnastics!
The GMP’s differentiate gymnastics from other activities.
Three Series of 20 Lesson Plans Each:
The Ruschkin ©Up Down All Around Lesson Plans consist of 3 series that target School Grades 1 – 6, or ages 6 – 11 in healthy programs for children and youth. Each series is comprised of 20 Lesson Plans. Each series can be used for 2 grade levels:
- Series A is designed for Grades 1 & 2 or ages 6 – 7 year olds
- Series B is designed for Grades 3 & 4 or ages 8 – 9 year olds
- Series C is designed for Grades 5 & 6 or ages 10 – 11 year olds
Each Lesson consists of 4 pages:
- Page 1 = Activation or warm-up
- Page 2 = Directed Learning - teacher directed
- Page 3 = Exploratory Learning – student directed
- Page 4 = Review & Lesson Expander
Typical Series of 20 Lesson Plans - Scope & Sequence:
Theme Sub Theme
- Landings On the Feet
- Landings On the Hands
- Landings On the Feet & The Hands
- Stationary Supports (individual)
- Stationary Supports (pairs)
- Stationary Balances (feet & knees)
- Stationary Balances (hips, shoulders)
- Stationary Hangs
- Locomotions On the Feet
- Locomotions In Supports
- Locomotions In Hang
- Rotations Broad Axis of Body
- Rotations Long Axis of Body
- Rotations Combined Axes
- Spring From the legs
- Spring From the LLgs & Arms
- Swing From the Arms
- Review Landings & Stationary
- Review Locomotions & Rotations
- Review Springs & Swings
UDAA Lesson Plan Series:
Series A (20 Lesson Plans) targets ages 6 to 8, and is designed to provide a first exposure to fundamental movement through games and activities.
Series B (20 Lesson Plans) targets ages 8 to 10, and is designed to progressively build upon the games, movements, and skills covered in Series A.
Series C (20 Lesson Plans) targets ages 10 to 12, and is designed to progressively build upon the games, movements, and skills covered in Series B.
UDAA Teachers Guide
The Up Down All Around Teacher’s Guide is designed to provide Teachers, Coaches and Program Leaders with the logic behind the Lesson Plans. It guides the user through the 4 Sections of each Lesson Plan:
- Exploratory Learning
- Directed Learning
- Review & Lesson Expander
Available in Canada, and for international bulk ordering, Lesson Plan per unit prices below exclude shipping & handling (5% GST also applied for Canadian orders). Organizational Purchase Orders, and credit card payments, accepted.
1 – 5
6 – 10
The UDAA Teachers Guide comes complimentary with your order!
Feel free to contact us for special order prices of larger quantities, or special order combinations.